Have you seen or heard about campaign sites asking for donations to help pay a person’s medical bills or help a family recover from a disaster?
The best way to raise funds is to ask for help from the community, known as crowdfunding, to spread their need by finding ways to accept gifts, either at a bank or credit union, PayPal (formerly known as e-payments), or other websites. It’s more likely that people will give if they know someone else giving and have some relationship with them.
Crowdfunding is a way to raise money for various emergencies, including unexpected and potentially catastrophic.
But the main issue is how to raise money online for a personal cause. This article will help you know how to raise money online for personal reasons and which platform would best suit your fundraising needs.
How to Choose the Right Platform?
Before you launch your fundraising efforts, consider browsing the different crowdfunding sites for a few days to understand how to raise money online for a personal cause. Some are free, while others have fees based on the percentage of all donations that come through them. Each site offers unique features that will benefit some people but not others depending on what they’re looking for.
• There are many different types of platforms on crowdfunding sites. Ensure your chosen platform allows fundraising for personal causes, as some only allow business fundraisers.
• The site you are looking for must have a simple sign-up process with user-friendly setup tutorials and videos to help you quickly create an account, including how-to content on embedding pictures, podcasts, or videos (including all updates), sharing on social media by prewritten automated posts.
• Some platforms use PayPal, while others provide their payment processing service like Etsy Payments. If you need funds right away because of ongoing expenses, even if it costs more than what was raised in the campaign, such as rent or another type of expense, then choose a “keep-it-all” option so that no money goes toward fees until all funds have been withdrawn from your fundraiser!
• Some platforms charge an upfront fee to set up your page; others offer free setup but claim a percentage of your donations. Still, not all crowdfunding platforms charge fees. Some do, but they don’t take a cut of your contributions.
Top Platforms for Personal Crowdfunding
Ketto started to make healthcare more accessible to everyone eight years ago. So far, they have raised over 2.8 lakh campaigns with a team of over 200 people to ensure that everyone who needs assistance receives it. Their purpose is to use the power of technology to make a large-scale social impact, and our youthful, energetic, and passionate workforce is up to the task.
- Accessibility: Users can use Ketto to establish their own online fundraising campaign page to generate funds for charity, personal projects, or medical expenses. Before their accounts are activated, NGOs/charity partners must go through a verification process that confirms the authenticity and legality of their submitted documents.
- Benefits: A crowdfunding platform brings transparency in fundraising by sharing real-time updates to fundraiser creators on how much money is raised, leading to more accountability.
Although raising money for the same program through crowdfunding is a viable option, NGOs would be able to present much more because of the longer-term engagement on Ketto. Additionally, due to repeated donations from users who have shown patience and interest in giving back to their donors and being rewarded with discounts or other incentives on what they purchase, an NGO has amassed substantial funds.
- Payment processing: Keeto supports multiple modes of payment such as credit cards, debit cards, net banking, and cheque pick up. These payments are processed by the best service providers globally, making sure transactions are not delayed during processing.
- Fees: Ketto will charge zero platform fee on all fundraisers. Only payment gateway fees go to the service providers, like Paytm.
GoFundMe is the largest and most well-known personal crowdfunding platform, allowing individuals, teams, and nonprofits to raise funds. However, it has excelled in assisting individuals in raising funds for their unique needs.
- Campaign Types: GoFundMe allows you to fundraise for any project or cause and briefs on how to raise money online for a personal reason. However, it is a top site for medical fundraising because more than a third of its campaigns are for medical bills, including infertility-related fees like IVF and adoption.
- Accessibility: GoFundMe has a wealth of tutorials and analyses of well-funded campaigns, so you’ll have no trouble getting started. You can also manage your fundraising page while on the go using the GoFundMe mobile app.
- Payment Processing: GoFundMe accepts all major credit cards and uses Stripe to process them. Fundraisers get to keep all donations, minus payment processing fees, even if they don’t reach their fundraising goal. And they’re able to withdraw contributions through direct transfer into their bank account as soon as they receive them –, but it can take two-five business days for the transfer process because there is no platform fee.
- Fees: There are no platform fees! To cover costs, GoFundMe asks donors for an optional tip at a rate of 2% plus $0.30 per individual donation–the only third-party price that you’ll see on this site. So, remember those funds go directly back into your campaign’s total fund amount with every transaction made from your page or anywhere else online!
- Advantages: The point-and-click design allows users newbies and old hands alike access easy social sharing tools with ease; 24/7 customer support available via chat or phone; first in crowdfunding protection guarantee which ensures every donation reaches its intended donee; the mobile app makes donating from anywhere convenient.
- Disadvantage: While the large platform might be a positive in some situations, increased competition from millions of other campaigns can lead to fewer donations from happy strangers. Read more.
GoGetFunding is a website that helps people raise money for their projects.
GoGetFunding was founded in December 2011 to disrupt the crowdfunding business by offering people a flexible and straightforward approach to raising funds for a good cause.
- Campaign Types: While GoGetFunding allows you to fundraise for any cause, their most popular campaigns are for personal, medical, and humanitarian purposes.
- Accessibility: One can create campaign pages by following a few simple steps. There are many tutorials to help you make an effective fundraising page on their blog, and they also provide videos that can demonstrate what needs to be done better than the written instructions could.
- Payment processing: Creating campaign pages is quick and straightforward, requiring only a few simple steps. In addition, both in video format and on their site, there are several ideas and lessons for developing successful fundraising campaigns.
- Fees: GoGetFunding takes a 4% fee on all funds raised, plus 2.9 percent payment processing fees. If you use PayPal or Stripe, you’ll pay an extra $0.30 for every transaction.
- Benefits: GoGetFunding’s page showcases well-designed fundraisers, and all campaigns are posted to its Facebook and Twitter feeds. The website evaluates how well a campaign is put up by looking at photographs, videos, the story, and how many backers’ fundraisers have gotten from their social networks.
- Disadvantages: This platform is one of the few that charges fees based on how much money is raised.
FundRazr is a nonprofit organization that provides financial assistance to people in need.
Although FundRazr is a smaller platform than many of its competitors, it compensates for more functionality and a gorgeous design.
- Campaign Types: While FundRazr allows you to raise money for nearly any purpose, the most famous campaigns are personal or charity.
- Ease of Use: Setup is quick and straightforward with FundRazr’s visual page builder. Its sites also include built-in sharing options, making it simple to share campaign content on social media to broaden reach.
- Payment processing: FundRazr accepts all major credit cards and bank transfers. They’ll use PayPal, WePay, or Stripe to process your payments. You can pick between a keep-it-all or all-or-nothing fundraising, in which case you won’t be able to access your donations until you reach your target.
- Accessibility: Individuals can select between a free fundraising model and a platform fee-free fundraising model. FundRazr invites donations for an optional tip to compensate costs. Each offering is subject to a 2.9 percent third-party payment processing fee + $0.30 per transaction.
- Benefits: FundRazr lets you construct feature-rich campaign pages with powerful social sharing options, personal website integration, and perks and wish list features that let you provide modest thank-you gifts or create a wish list of things you need supporters can sponsor, such as plane tickets.
- Disadvantages: The platform is smaller and less popular than its big competitors, and some users have complained that some support materials, such as tutorials, are outdated.
Fundly, although being a lesser-known platform, has helped users fund over $330 million. Its keep-it-all approach, which Fundly refers to as a “no raise requirement,” and its helpful crew make it one of the top personal fundraising platforms.
- Campaign Types: Individual needs or philanthropic causes focus on the most successful Fundly initiatives. Personal objectives, such as a journey worldwide, can be funded, but these campaigns do not perform well on Fundly.
- Accessibility: Using their plug-and-play campaign sites, you can easily add graphics, video, and text. Their profiles also make it simple to keep up with the campaign via blogs and comments. All campaign activity is immediately shared on Facebook. Through their active blog, Fundly also gives thorough guidance for starting up your campaign as well as ongoing recommendations. They also provide a free app that allows you to manage your fundraising campaign on the go.
- Payment Processing: They accept all major credit cards and use Stripe to process them. All gifts, minus processing fees, are yours to keep. The funds are technically available for withdrawal right now. Processing them, on the other hand, takes seven business days.
- Fees: There are no costs associated with creating and launching your campaign. Fundly, on the other hand, deducts a 4.9 percent fee from every donation. There’s also a 2.9 percent plus $0.30 per transaction third-party payment processing fee. For more extensive campaigns, they automatically apply discounts.
- Benefits: In addition to fully customized campaign pages and excellent customer service, Fundly lets you design your fundraising T-shirts, sweatshirts, phone cases, mugs, and tote bags, which they print and mail as thank-you presents to supporters who give whatever amount you specify. Although the price of these fundraising items varies depending on the product and number of photos, the average T-shirt costs roughly $15 to manufacture and ship.
- Disadvantages: This platform is still one of the few that charges a fee on the money raised. For personal fundraising, the majority of outlets are now free.
Plumfund, one of the major crowdfunding platforms, which ensures how to raise money online for a personal cause, has assisted its members in raising more than $500 million for various reasons. Fundraisers can campaign for personal creative endeavors or ambitions such as weddings, honeymoons, baby showers, travel, and education, in addition to individual requirements.
- Campaign Types: Plumfund is an excellent place to start if you need money for an emergency, but it’s also a perfect place to start if you want to fundraise for a personal project or goal, such as a European backpacking trip.
- Accessibility: Plug-and-play tools make it simple to build up pages. However, no courses or tools are available to help users create effective and successful campaigns.
- Payment Processing: Fundraisers have various payment choices, including cash or check payments in person or online credit card processing via PayPal.
- Fees: There are none. However, online transactions are subject to third-party payment processing costs of 2.9 percent + $0.30 per donation.
- Benefits: In addition to setting fundraising goals, Plumfund allows fundraisers to create registries and wish lists. Furthermore, both fundraisers and funders benefit from free setup and use. Fees are only associated with processing online payments, which are unavoidable because the payment processor determines them. Customers praise the company’s customer service.
- Disadvantages: Plumfund has fewer tools and functionality than other platforms, such as fewer social media options and customization of pages.
When it comes to raising funds for a good cause, the fundraising website you choose is crucial. It can be challenging (and at times overwhelming) to narrow down your selections when there are so many to choose from. This list is a beautiful place to start and learn how to raise money online for a personal cause for a nonprofit, a school, or a loved one.
Choose the best online fundraising website for your project now that you know and learn how to raise money online for a personal cause! All you have to do now is choose a supplier, publicize your campaign, and raise funds.